Hi, Welcome to the Driven Female Entrepreneur Podcast.I’m your host, Melitta Campbell, award winning business coach and marketing veteran, and Value Whisperer.
This week as part of our Summer Business Festival we’re looking at how to run a growing business around your family – and stay sane!It might not feel like it at times, especially when those ankle biters are around 24/7 for the next 7 weeks, but yes, I can promise you it’s possible. :)
As with everything there will be good days, bad days and days when you feel overwhelmed and if you are letting everyone down, and just want to go back to bed and forget it all and that’s OK. We may be super women in many respects, but do need to remind ourselves that at the end of the day we are all human and there is only so much we can do. One thing I love that has come out of the podcast is that there is no one way to build a business, especially when you are doing so around a family.
Today, I will share with you some of the things I’ve done to help me run my business over the last 14 years around my growing family, but before I dive in, I wanted to highlight a few of the other episodes you’ll find valuable if you are a parent with ambition:
#52 Business After Babies – Lori Mihalich-Levin
#67 Backyard Sales to Global Brand – Kelley Higney
#71 Successful Freelancing as a Mum – Abbi Perets
#20 Building Your Business Around Your Family – Malva Gasowski
#25 Time and Productivity Techniques that Work for Women – Megan Sumrel
l#93 The Marketing Mindset – Teresa Heath-Wareing
I’ve created a separate blog post that lists these episodes for you, with a summary of their advice for you – Click the Link
Every single day, take some time to do something just for you. Do something that makes you happy and feeds your soul. -Melitta Campbell
5 Lessons from a Decade of Building a Business Around a Family
In today’s episode, I will share with you five things that have made a big difference for me, and that I hope will help you get out there more consistently too, and with more confidence and impact.
1. Have a plan : priorities and time activities
- Know what your ONE priority is for the day (max. three), so you can end the day feeling accomplished.
- Give your activities a time – so if, for e.g., you only have 10 minutes, you can fill it productively and still move consciously move your business forward – sticky note wall plan.
2. Set clear boundaries – and stick to them!
- Time for your business
- Time for you
- Time for your kids
- Time for your other relationships and hobbies
Physical boundaries can help too – the day I got a proper door on my office was a game changer!
3. Be Kindful
- Never put yourself down, or think bad of yourself.
- Be aware of your negative self-talk.
- Be kindful – remind yourself that you are doing the best you can with the resources available to you.
- Work on your Mindset everyday
- Become aware of your Negative Self-Talk and reframe these thoughts to help you move forward more powerfully and confidently
- Practice gratitude daily to help keep negativity and challenge in its place.
- Put your own oxygen mask on first, it’s always so important
- If you don’t care for yourself first, you won’t have the energy or time for your business or family
6. Ask for Help
- Just because you CAN do something, it doesn't mean you should
- Surround yourself with people who understand your challenges and can provide moral support and insights.
- Look for everything that isn't in your zone of genius and either find a way to delegate it or ask if it needs to be done at all.
- Getting help needn't be expensive, get resourceful
- A business coach is an investment to explore sooner rather than later.
7. Involve your Kids
- There are ways to involve your kids at any age
- Entrepreneurial skills will support your kids' future
- Your kids and their ideas and enthusiasm can inspire your success and growth
- Involving kids can be chaotic, but the upsides are tremendous!
How do you manage your business around your kids?
I’d love to know which of these has been most helpful for you – or If there is anything else that you do that helps you keep it all together. Leave a comment below or share your ideas in the Dream Clients Club FB group.
Involving our kids in our businesses is a really important gift, which I believe is gonna give them a real edge in the future. -Melitta Campbell
Melitta Campbell is an award-winning business coach who is passionate about helping women confidently Build, Grow and Scale a profitable business that allows them to do work that they love, create the balanced lifestyle they desire, and feel proud of the difference they are making.
Her expertise comes from 25+ years of experience in communication, marketing and leadership, including more than a decade of running her own businesses. This allows her to coach her clients on the inner-game of success as much as the practicalities of starting and running a thriving business. Melitta is also the best-selling author of A Shy Girl’s Guide to Networking, international speaker, and host of the Driven Female Entrepreneur podcast. In 2021, LinkedIn named Melitta as one of the top Sales Influencers to follow and one of their top 14 most authentic contributors.
At AIs ‘Influential Business Woman Awards 2021’, Melitta was awarded: Most Influential Female Business Coach (Europe) And she was recently named as one of the top Female Business Coaches in the World by Cade Hildreth: https://cadehildreth.com/female-busin... Originally from the UK, she now supports her global client base from her home in Switzerland, where she lives with her husband and two daughters.If you are a coach, consultant or trainer, book a complementary business assessment call with Melitta to understand your next steps towards enjoying more dream clients, balance and impact. www.melittacampbell.com/call
Connect with Melitta
Website Facebook Linkedin Twitter
Join the Dream Clients Club!
Come and join like-minded women in the FREE online community for female entrepreneurs seeking more confidence and an authentic approach to business growth.You can expect many more tips, tools and insights to support you as you build and grow your business to 6 figures and beyond!
You May Enjoy...
5 Ways to Grow Your BusinessHow to Build a Success Mindset
A Shy Girl’s Guide to Networking
Quotes that Will Inspire You to Set Goals, Dream Big and Go for it!
Business Success Through Collaboration and Community
NEW! FREE Marketing Made Simple Course
Ever wished your marketing was easier, faster and more effective?In this new FREE online course, I've distilled my 25-years of marketing knowledge into one course that will help you quickly:Understand how to make Marketing Work for your businessCreate your own perfect Marketing Plan with templates and step-by-step guidanceAdopt marketing methods that feel natural and funStart welcoming more of your Dream Clients into your business!
>> Start your Marketing Made Simple Course today at: www.melittacampbell.com/simple
Loved this episode? Share it on Pinterest...